I’m hurtling towards the dreaded big ‘four oh’. It’s not something I’m happy about but, rather than hide away from it – like I normally do with each passing year – I’ve decided to make the most of it. I’ll be doing this by completing a 40 before 40 challenge.
Starting on my 39th birthday in November 2018, I’m aiming to try 40 things that are completely new to me in just 52 weeks.
Why? Well, I like a challenge and, to be honest, I didn’t come up with the idea until I was well beyond 38.
This isn’t just a personal mission, however. I’m also hoping that it will inspire others to get out of their comfort zones and try new experiences that are a big deal yet achievable.
I’m allowing for some flexibility as, thanks to blogging, I’ve had all kinds of weird and wonderful experiences I would otherwise never have thought of.
So, if you represent a brand and have any suggestions or would like to collaborate on any of the following challenges, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Go on at least five date nights
- Research my family tree
- Visit somewhere significant to my family history
- Watch 100 classic films with my wife/kids
- Learn to play the guitar with my sons
- Visit a new country with my family
- Go monster/ghost/legend hunting
- Visit a local attraction I’ve never been to
- Visit five castles in a year
- Learn to swim with my daughter
- Confront a fear
- Driving Lesson
- Be less of a Grinch
- Learn a new language
- Try a new sport
- Make a will
- Write a book
- Complete a DIY project from scratch
- Cook something notoriously difficult
- Learn how to use my camera properly
- Take part in a zombie survival game
- Achieve 100% completion on Red Dead Redemption 2
- Win the Premier League with someone other than Spurs on FM2019
- Have something custom made
- Learn some tricky football skills
- Make some palatable homebrew
- Get my blog professionally redesigned
- Do a Facebook or Instagram live post
- Try paddle boarding
- Go to one more gig before I’m 40
- Make a world record attempt
- Have a pint in England’s oldest pub
- Learn to juggle
- Give blood
- Raise £1k for charity
- Random act of kindness
- Climb a mountain
- Take at least 2.5 million steps during the year
- Take on the Crystal Maze
- Attend the premiere of a film