When I got tagged in a meme recently – my first in ages – I predicted that another one would follow soon afterwards. Strangely enough, I was right. I must be getting well versed in this blogging lark.
Anyway, I was tagged in this one by Aida at My Life as Harry’s Mum. Thanks, Aida! The rules for the epic Liebster Award, as this one is known, are simple:
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions given to you.
- Create 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate for the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Choose five bloggers with under 200 followers to nominate.
- Go to each blogger’s page and let them know about the award.
11 facts about me
- I always forget to take my brown inhaler in the morning. I think a tattoo on my forehead is the only answer.
- I once had a pair of swimming trunks stolen while I was on holiday in Morocco. Fortunately, I wasn’t wearing them at the time.
- I’m sort of writing a zom-com at the moment. ‘Sort of’ in that the plot, some of the jokes and half of the characters are in my head.
- It’s entirely possible that I may never get round to filming or even properly write said zom-com. That would be a shame.
- I used to teach English as a foreign language to German kids as a summer job. Their English was already better than mine.
- The end-of-course ceremony for the teachers at said language school took place in an old cinema and was the single most terrifying experience of my life. There was sinister music, battery-powered candles and a frenzied atmosphere. Fortunately, I wasn’t sacrificed.
- Despite surviving the scary end to my classroom experience, I decided that teaching wasn’t for me.
- I was once asked “Are you a decisive person?” in an interview. I replied, “I think so.” Oh dear…
- One of my proudest career achievements was making my boss dress up as a cat and hide behind a tree.
- On our wedding day, Kate and I walked out of the ceremony to the Grandstand theme tune. For the rest of the day, people kept coming up to us and saying “Ha ha! Brilliant! Match of the Day!” Silly people.
- I’ve probably done some of these facts before. Sorry!
Now for 11 questions from Aida
What got you into blogging?
A misguided belief that there was a gap in the market for a book about being a dad and because it seemed a good way of piloting material. It turns out there are lots of books about fatherhood and plenty more blogs that are a lot better than this one too!
If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Probably France. The standard of living is better, the food and wine are awesome and I’d like to finally become fluent in the lingo. That said, looking at the headline I gave this post, maybe I should brush up my German too…
Tell us one thing you love about yourself.
Nothing springs to mind! There are plenty of things in relation to me that I love, but nothing specifically about myself. I’m thankful for the fact that, apart from asthma which I keep under control, I’m mostly healthy – I’ll go with that for an answer.
What makes you smile on a grey Monday morning?
The fact that I’ve only got another 30-odd years of working before I get to have regular ‘lie ins’, as I believe they’re called.
What is your favourite song/band?
My favourite band is, without doubt, Maximo Park. Favourite song? I’m torn between Our Velocity and The National Health. Both are amazing tracks that I could listen to all day. I’ve just played both to Xander and he liked Our Velocity better. That one then.
Beer, wine or cocktails?
Beer and wine. Real ale if I’m out and red wine at home.
Kindle or paperback and why?
Neither! Doing a degree in English Literature killed my enjoyment of reading long texts and I seldom pick up a book. I’m more at home reading other people’s blogs on my tablet.
Are you a cat or dog person? You are allowed to be a bunny or even a spiders person for that matter, just tell us what is your favourite pet and why!
Definitely a cat person. Sadly, I’m allergic to them…
What is your favourite TV series?
Ooh, easy! The Walking Dead. It’s brilliant television and I love zombies.
Gym, outdoor or home workout/activity and why?
None of the above! I play indoor five-a-side football every week. It’s cathartic, good exercise and a laugh too. It’s not competitive either, which suits me – participating in sport should be fun and that’s what I’ll be teaching Dylan and Xander. Supporting a team, however, is another matter…
How hard was it for you to come up with 11 questions for this post?
Not too difficult, surprisingly! I used to interview celebrities in one of my old jobs so have wheeled out some old reliable ones…
Now for my 11 questions
- What has been your proudest achievement in life and why?
- Do you have any unusual talents?
- If there were a biopic about your life, who would play you?
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would buy and why?
- What’s the best thing about blogging?
- How do you spend your time when you get one of those rare kid-free days?
- Android or Apple and why?
- Who was the last music act you saw live?
- What is your worst habit?
- Can you remember what your life was actually like before children?
- Zip or button fly on jeans? I can’t understand why anyone would want buttons, but they’re all I can ever find in the shops.
Right, nearly there… here are the victims I have chosen for the Liebster Award. Sorry if any of you have over 200 followers – it can be difficult to tell!
Over to you, my good people!